North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We give grants through a process that shifts decision-making power towards communities fighting for justice. We also work with people from all backgrounds to mobilize resources in support of grassroots movements.
We’re hiring a Donor Organizer to support and lead programs that widen our network of people committed to transformative action through giving. The Donor Organizer will report to our Donor Program Director. This is not a fundraising position, but a role in building a cross-class, multi-racial movement of people moving resources to grassroots organizations. The Donor Organizer will be responsible for strengthening our network while amplifying the North Star Fund model of grantmaking led by community organizers in support of work that centers systems change, and not band-aid solutions. Other key responsibilities also include:
● Developing curriculum, coordinating and co-facilitating our annual Giving Project, a six-month cohort of people from different backgrounds who come together to build grassroots fundraising and grantmaking skills;
● Recruiting Giving Project participants with attention to building groups that are cross-race, cross-class, and intergenerational;
● Creating and implementing public programs that generate excitement about grassroots organizing in New York City and the Hudson Valley;
● Developing and leading workshops aligned with North Star Fund’s mission around how to be a stronger ally through one’s giving, including social justice oriented strategies for planning gifts and vehicles like donor-advised funds;
● Providing project management, administrative and facilitation support for our NextGen Family Foundation Collaborative , a training cohort for emerging trustees and coordinators of family-based giving that focuses on strengthening leadership and social justice giving;
● Providing one-on-one coaching on giving and resource mobilization with Giving Project and Collaborative participants, as well as donors in the North Star Fund network;
● Building new relationships with individuals and groups through special initiatives;
● Strengthening and expanding partnerships with donor organizing and resource mobilization networks throughout the US; and
● Working in coordination with North Star Fund’s resource mobilization and grantmaking teams in creating and implementing programs designed to advance our mission.
Skills and Experience
● Demonstrated ability to quickly connect, build trust and develop authentic relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds;
● Strong facilitation skills, experience working with groups and designing curriculum for group processes;
● Strong active listening skills;
● Highly organized, with strong project management skills;
● Strong attention to detail; and
● Demonstrated committed to social justice, progressive social change, and the core values of North Star Fund.
The full-time position will be based in our New York City office and will include evening and weekend meetings as part of our public programming. North Star Fund is firmly committed to equity and diversity and to the recruitment and retention of people from backgrounds traditionally excluded from philanthropy, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, women, LGBTQ, elders, and disabled people.
The salary range is $60,000-$75,000 plus excellent benefits.
How To Apply
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: Donor Organizer. No calls please. Application close date: Open until filled.