NYRP believes that access to nature is a fundamental human right. We work to strengthen communities, promote food sovereignty, and counter environmental and social injustices to ensure that all New Yorkers have equitable access to green space. For 25 years, NYRP has invested in and stewarded over 80 acres of City-owned parks and 52 community gardens throughout New York City’s five boroughs. NYRP’s strength as an organization and the impact of our work depend on having diverse representation within our team. We value the unique perspectives, knowledge, and resources that each of our employees brings to NYRP.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO), the Foundation Relations Manager will have primary responsibility for fundraising activities related to foundation grants. In collaboration with the Executive Director and CAO, they will cultivate and steward relationships with foundations in order to secure five- and six-figure grants. The Foundation Relations Manager will operate as a frontline fundraiser and project manager, shepherding the foundation pipeline from prospects to relationships to reporting.
The ideal candidate for this role will possess very strong written and verbal communication skills, project management skills, and the interpersonal skills needed to work effectively with diverse audiences. They will have a demonstrated interest in and familiarity with environmental justice, open space, urban agriculture, and other issue areas related to NYRP’s mission.
NYRP fundraising staff is working remotely during the pandemic.
- In collaboration with the CAO, develop a multi-year foundation funding strategy that aligns with NYRP’s mission and strategic plan and that meets annual revenue targets.
- Research and identify foundation prospects at the $10,000+ level and work with the Executive Director (ED) and CAO to cultivate relationships.
- Steward a portfolio of existing foundation donors, with a focus on building strong, sustainable relationships through phone calls, virtual and in person meetings, site visits, and event participation.
- Produce clear, compelling grant proposals that use internal and third-party research to make a cogent case for support of community parks and gardens.
- Develop all necessary materials, including budgets, to support grant proposals and reports.
- Write, edit, and manage all other materials related to foundation fundraising, such as LOIs, theory of change frameworks, impact metrics, grant reports, and project updates.
- Support the ED and CAO in developing relationships with key foundation officers.
- Use Raiser’s Edge database to track all foundation opportunities, contacts, and outcomes.
- Keep informed about local and regional news, emerging research, and philanthropic trends relevant to NYRP’s core focus areas, i.e., environmental justice, urban green space, community gardens, urban agriculture, environmental education.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for NYRP’s mission
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7+ years of professional experience in nonprofit fundraising, including foundation fundraising experience
- Demonstrated track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and securing five- and six-figure multi-year grants
- Superior writing and presentation skills, with great attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build relationships effectively and comfortably with foundation staff at all levels
- Highly organized and able to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and development database use (Raiser’s Edge preferred)
NYRP fundraising staff is working remotely during the pandemic, except for select fundraising events that take place outdoors and under strict COVID protocols.
How To Apply
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.