THE CALIFORNIA WELLNESS FOUNDATION
The California Wellness Foundation (Cal Wellness) is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. As one of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with over $1 billion in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees; public policy grantmaking; and a focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs; healthy and safe neighborhoods; and quality health care services.
The foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes four interrelated portfolios. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion. As the foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking to advance its mission, including implementation of new technology systems, development of its public affairs capacity, and establishing mission- and program-related investment portfolios.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff of approximately 45 located in its Los Angeles and Oakland offices and a diverse 13-member Board located throughout the state of California. The foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment, and safety.
Please visit http://www.calwellness.org for more information.
The Human Resources Manager is a newly created role that will focus on talent and development and will partner closely with organizational leaders to align talent initiatives and organizational priorities. This position will bring added capacity to the team to support our culture, be a key resource to the Sr. Director of Human Resources and accelerate initiatives of the team.
The HR Manager will have primary responsibility for our talent acquisition, performance and professional development, staff DEI initiatives, and other activities. They will be key player in our employee relations and employee experience. The position will be a go-to resource for staff and managers on matters such as performance, professional development, culture and more.
The person who steps into this role will have the benefit of existing HR practices, as well as opportunities to reimagine what we do and how we do it. We’re looking for someone to bring their fresh ideas, energy, smarts and a track record of success. The ideal candidate will be ab exceptional team player who will work collaboratively across the team and ensure no issues slip between the cracks.
This is an independent contributor role, and it is also a leadership role. It will be a key support the Sr. Director of HR, who reports directly to the President/CEO and sits on the Executive Management Committee (EMC). This role will collaborate closely with leaders throughout the organization. It will support presentations and preparation of materials for the), EMC and Board of Directors. They will use their expertise and influence to positively impact our organizational culture.
THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
The HR team at Cal Wellness provides innovative and best-in-class programming and resources to our amazing staff. We build and support a diverse culture of trust, integrity and excellence by hiring talented people and supporting staff development.
The three members of the HR team will include a Sr. Director of HR, HR Manager and HR Administrator. Each member will have clear vertical pillars of ownership, while at the same time sharing responsibility for our collective success. The HR Manager focuses primarily on talent and development, whereas the HR Administrator focuses primarily on people operations. This close-knit team will back each other up, collaborate seamlessly, and share responsibility for our collective accomplishments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive the recruitment, selection and onboarding of diverse and top-notch talent.
- Design and communicate comprehensive search processes in collaboration with hiring managers for openings. Oversee and create job descriptions.
- Develop offers, obtain approvals, and onboard new staff.
Employee & Manager Relations
- Routinely connects and consults with staff and leadership at all levels to provide HR guidance. Listens to better understand departmental needs. Develop and communicate solutions to balance organizational priorities, departmental needs and HR initiatives.
- Provides strategic consultation to department heads and managers to proactively engage and identify people gaps and opportunities, propose changes and facilitate change.
- Manage the resolution of employee relations issues, through effective, thoughtful, and objective conversation and investigation.
- Plan and implement annual and ongoing performance development processes.
- Maintain performance management system, reminders, communications, trainings, etc.
- Support and coach managers in providing ongoing feedback and developing their staff. Provide close partnership with managers regarding complex situations.
- Continue to research and develop recommendations regarding best practices to advance, assess and reward individual and organizational performance.
Professional Development & Learning
- Manage and provide access to professional development resources including trainings, webinars, conferences, fellowships, coaching, courses, etc.
- Creates protocols, pathways and/or templates that help staff understand to which what professional development activities they may be best.
- Identifies learning resources and/or develops content, and may facilitate trainings and/or conversations.
Culture & Communications
- Develop programming, activities and celebrations that support an inclusive, collaborative and deeply fulfilling work environment. Embed diversity, equity and inclusion awareness in staff activities, learning and organizational culture.
- Develop internal communications to help inform and engage with staff. Communications may include new hire announcements, search announcements, updates, information sharing, and more. Utilize various platforms for employee communication such as email, intranet, and our chat platform.
- Close partner and resource to Sr Director of HR, supporting department planning and other activities. Back-up to the Sr. Director of HR when absent. Opportunities to support and interact with Executive Management Committee (EMC), CEO and Board.
- Serve as flexible team resource. Actively participates in routine and ad hoc team meetings and connections. Able to fill in for HR colleagues when absent.
- Maintains and organizes own records, files and calendar to maintain departmental efficiency and facilitate collaboration.
- Stays current on HR industry and Cal Wellness trends, developments and metrics to continually bring new ideas and solutions to the table.
The ideal candidate for this role will an experienced HR professional who is smart, exudes leadership, and is approachable, warm and creative. They’ll bring a positive, can-do energy to the team, and will inspire confidence. Here are more details about the background and experience we’re looking for.
- Substantial experience as an HR practitioner.
- HR generalist experience preferred. Examples of past positions held may include: HR Manager, Sr. HR Business Partner/HRBP, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Organizational Development Specialist, or other similar functions.
- Prior experience in a sophisticated organization with a professional workforce.
- Prior organizations may have been in the non-profit industry, philanthropy, government, finance, executive search, corporate, entertainment, start-ups, or other industries.
- Ability to learn our organizational structure and dynamics, and to understand the philanthropic landscape.
- Strong cultural awareness and knowledge of DEI issues. Commitment and proven ability to create a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Demonstrated experience leading and executing the recruitment & selection of professional workforce.
- Ability to provide thought leadership, facilitation, conflict management and coaching to staff and managers across the organization.
- Superb verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Able to communicate with a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with applicable employment law.
- Able to implement existing policies as well as build new policies and protocols from scratch.
- Able to use technology and HR systems in a productive and efficient way.
- Creative problem solver with analytical abilities.
- Organized, self-directed and action oriented.
- The ideal candidate will embody Cal Wellness’ core competencies:
- Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Teamwork and Collaboration
LOCATION & TRAVEL
Cal Wellness operates with a hybrid work model that supports in-office and remote work. In-office attendance will typically be required Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Travel is estimated at up to10% to engage with the team and have a periodic presence at our Los Angeles headquarters and our Oakland office and to attend meetings and convenings across the State. This position may be based at either our Los Angeles headquarters or Oakland office.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target starting salary for the newly hired HR Manager is $130,000 per year. The full salary grade for the role is $112,000 to $168,000 per year.
Highlights from our benefit package include: a variety of medical insurance plans (fully covered for staff, covered at 90% for dependents, subject to plan limits), dental and vision insurance (covered at 90-95%), a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan (with a 16% employer contribution!), flexible paid time off, tuition reimbursement (up to $5,250 per year), professional development opportunities, matching gifts (for every $1 you give to an eligible organization, we’ll match $3), and the opportunity to work at a mission and values driven organization.
Please apply here and upload a cover letter and resume as soon as possible!
Resume review begins immediately, and candidates will be considered on a rolling basis. Those selected for advancement will be asked to participate in several rounds of interviews (virtual and in-person), complete a writing assignment, and provide a list of professional references. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in our application process, please let us know.
The California Wellness Foundation is partnering on this search with Valerie Vincent Taylor of Korn Ferry. Please direct all inquiries to the search firm. No other agency referrals please.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. Additionally, we are a fair chance employer and welcome candidates with lived experience with the criminal justice system.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above
How To Apply