The Pennsylvania Humanities Council puts the humanities in action to create positive change. Our programs and grants bring Pennsylvanians together to build avenues for civic involvement and community development, and for youth and adult learners to strengthen skills for school, work, and personal improvement. We are an independent partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities and part of a network of 56 state humanities councils that spans the nation and U.S. jurisdictions. Learn more at pahumanities.org.
The Senior Writer supports the work of PHC to increase the funding and visibility of the organization, its programs and advocacy efforts. Reporting to the Development Director, this individual will motivate contributions and expand visibility by telling the story of PHC’s mission and impact. The position requires strategic thinking, collaboration, and a combination of finely honed development and communications skills – including writing high-quality, compelling proposals, and translating research into relatable content for development audiences. This is a tremendous opportunity for a fund development professional looking to join a highly regarded and growing organization on a permanent part-time basis, and to have a significant and meaningful impact on the lives of people and communities PHC serves.
· Leads the development, writing, and design of the donor newsletter and annual report, as well as solicitation campaigns and stewardship correspondence.
· In consultation with the Development Director, develops and assumes primary responsibility for executing a donor and prospect stewardship strategy.
· With the Development Director, develops a comprehensive calendar of funding opportunities for private and corporate foundations, as well as government agencies to support PHC’s priorities.
· Creates production timelines for donor campaigns, proposals, and reports.
· Provides stewardship to current donors, including regular written updates.
· Researches and identifies foundation and government funding streams, and participates in prioritizing and planning for new funding opportunities.
· Conducts the research for and writing of a broad range of documents, including proposals, narrative reports, award nominations, appeal letters, and correspondence.
· Contributes to creation of social media fundraising campaigns and effective reports, fact sheets, development invitations, and other marketing, fundraising, and advocacy materials.
· Assists with writing projects and external communications efforts as requested and edits/proofreads material written by other staff members.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience with fundraising research and writing proposals, reports, and development communications.
• Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources and write compelling copy for fundraising.
• Ability to handle multiple assignments and shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work with internal and external constituents, and comfort dealing with diverse audiences.
How To Apply
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position addressed to email@example.com.