CFLeads is a national network of community foundations working together to build strong communities. CFLeads is committed to helping community foundations lead transformative work in place-based communities all over the country.
CFLeads vision: We envision a world in which community foundations are vital partners in building communities where all residents are prosperous, healthy and secure.
CFLeads mission: Our mission is to help community foundations build strong communities by advancing effective practices, sharing knowledge and galvanizing action on critical issues of our time.
CFLeads values: Our values are the principles that we use to guide our work each day:
• Learning. We believe that organizational excellence and effectiveness are driven by a commitment to ongoing learning.
• Knowledge. We believe information of all kinds — including data, research and lived experience — is essential to the ability to lead, set sound strategies, and solve problems.
• Respect. We value and consider each other in all our interactions.
• Collaboration. We believe in creating solutions together, harnessing the ideas, knowledge, and experience of a wide range of individuals and institutions to create the best results.
• Equity. We believe inclusion and representation matter and that the input and voices of those most impacted by issues and decisions are needed to create the healthy, thriving communities at the core of our mission. Read CFLeads Racial Equity Statement – CFLeads.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Fund Development and Marketing sets and guides the overall vision and strategy for all the organization’s development and marketing. This includes working collaboratively with the team to establish fundraising goals, and leading the organization’s prospecting, grant writing, and grant reporting to foundations, corporate entities, and federal agencies. This individual also oversees CFLeads’ marketing efforts, working effectively with the Communications and Digital Marketing Manager, including website, emails, digital media, print collateral, and public relations outreach. The Director is responsible for executing CFLeads’ communications plan; developing and maintaining CFLeads’ organizational brand; the creation of communications content; development of communications calendars and processes; managing the production of all external materials and publications; and overseeing all major communications-related projects.
• Advance strategies that connect the organization to local and national foundations, corporations, individual giving and public entities.
• Lead the creation and execution of the organization’s strategic fund development/fundraising plan.
• Research and steward relationships with new donors.
• Manage grant writing efforts to private foundations, corporations, businesses and public agencies.
• Cultivate new partners and sponsors and prioritize funding opportunities.
• Coordinate special events that generate revenue and relationships with existing and potential funders.
• Lead special fundraising events and campaigns, including CFleads’ annual solicitation.
• Coordinate with program team members to ensure and report on the organization’s fulfillment of funded objectives.
• Develop earned income streams in collaboration with CFLeads team leaders.
• Partner with the finance department to sustain efficient, effective, and transparent financial tracking and reporting processes.
• Engage existing and prospective Board members.
• Participate in the Development and Communications Committee.
• Work with the team to manage effective grants management, Salesforce CRM, project management and other communication systems.
• Collaborate with the team to ensure accurate information in grant applications/reports.
• Manage the Communications team and consultants, including CFLeads’ Communications and Digital Marketing Manager. Supervising all related work, including overall branding and messaging, targeted marketing, social media management, event PR and media outreach to broaden awareness of our organization and engage partners in meaningful ways.
• Set and lead the realization of annual and multi-year advancement and communications plan and goals to increase knowledge and awareness of CFLeads, its mission, activities, and the value of its work.
• Develop corresponding grants/communications calendar and other systems for implementation and monitoring.
• Work to build awareness and support in the form of financial support, strategic partnerships, and in-kind resources.
• Oversee marketing in the form of earned media, e-blasts social media, website, collateral, brand, and other visual external facing materials/platforms/communications.
• Cultivate new partners and sponsors via communications and marketing to generate awareness and support.
• Responds flexibly to other emerging needs as needed.
Desired Skills and Attributes
• Strategic thought leader with a proven track record of success in fund development.
• Experience developing and implementing communications and marketing strategies.
• Savvy interpersonal skills and highly collaborative.
• Excellent grammar and writing skills.
• Familiarity with AP style.
• Energized by CFLeads’ mission and values.
• Team player with a strong capacity to work independently.
• Flexibility and comfort managing tasks and projects with a small team that travels frequently.
• Positive attitude, a customer-service orientation, and a demonstrated ability to thrive working in a nimble, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field, Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum 7 years of experience in communications and fund development.
• At least 5 years of experience working in nonprofit communications.
• Experience within community foundations and the field of philanthropy desirable.
• Copy editing experience preferred.
• Strong knowledge and appreciation of grammar and writing mechanics.
• Ability to think about communications strategically and tactically.
• Basic understanding of WordPress, Salesforce, and email communications systems.
CFLeads is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. CFLeads is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Caroline Merenda at email@example.com.
How To Apply
Submit resume and cover letter describing prior experience to Caroline Merenda, Chief of Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org