All* Above All, a project of New Venture Fund, seeks nominations and applications for a Development Director.
All* Above All is a catalyst for abortion justice, envisioning a world where abortion care is affordable, available, and supported for everyone who needs it. Launched in 2013 as a women of color-led effort to restore and sustain public insurance coverage of abortion, the organization changed the game a few short years later by mobilizing policymakers and the public around the harm of these bans, especially for those unable to make ends meet. After years of bold work that centers people of color working to make ends meet, All* Above All recently expanded its mission and scope beyond insurance coverage of abortion, to other abortion access issues and strategies, particularly at the intersection of racial, economic, and immigrant justice issues. All* knows that race, economic insecurity, and immigration status can multiply the already-massive barriers to abortion care, and that true abortion justice must incorporate these issues. Throughout this transition, All*’s goal is to continue to empower a new generation to be bold and take action with All*’s uplifting approach, cross-movement work, and digital and grassroots strategies, to ensure that abortion care is available for all.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES FACING THE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
The Development Director will be a highly collaborative, self-motivated, and results-oriented leader. They will focus on high-level strategic thinking, development team building, and goal setting while also managing day-to-day fundraising tasks and all aspects of development operations. The Development Director will be a highly skilled written and verbal communicator that effectively inspires donors to partner with and support All* Above All. Specifically, the Development Director will:
Develop fundraising vision and goals that advance All* Above All’s abortion justice mission.
The Development Director will collaboratively develop the organization’s three to five-year fundraising goals to closely align with programmatic work and will work with the Vice President and the Senior Finance and Operations Manager to envision and shape a future development team based upon these goals. The Development Director will also create and implement 501(c)4 donor engagement strategies in line with broader fundraising goals, which will include hiring and supervising a Development Manager to create an online fundraising program for the Action Fund.
Execute successful fundraising strategies that build and maintain strong partnerships with donors.
A main initial focus for the Development Director will be to maintain and build relationships with existing donors, while simultaneously researching, identifying, and approaching new prospective foundation funders and individual donors. The Development Director will execute day-to-day development operations and continuously maintain accurate and timely reporting and communication. The Development Director will employ excellent written and verbal communication skills to manage all donor correspondence, including writing and preparation of formal and informal donor reports, grant proposals, solicitation and acknowledgment letters, and responses to donor inquiries. They will also manage and maintain the donor database to ensure accurate and up-to-date donor records, information, and correspondence. They will use strong project management skills to streamline internal grant application processes from multiple internal stakeholders (finance, programmatic, etc.) and ensure the review and accuracy of these materials for timely grant submissions.
Collaborate internally and work cross-functionally to drive fundraising success.
The Development Director role requires a highly collaborative leader who can effectively work with staff across the organization to accomplish their goals. The Development Director will actively participate as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), which comprises all Directors and the Executive Team. Collectively, the SMT strives to create a high-performing, impactful, and collaborative organization by modeling All* Above All’s guiding principles, fostering cross-organizational collaboration, and providing staff with the tools they need to excel in their roles. The Development Director will regularly attend key Campaign and Strategies meetings for relevant programmatic updates and examples from our work that can be shared with donors. On occasion, the Development Director will prepare written or verbal reports to the Executive Team about funders and fundraising activities and prepare internal staff and other stakeholders for funder meetings. The Development Director will liaise closely with the fiscal sponsor and the Senior Finance and Operations Manager to ensure proper financial information for grant reports and proposals and will build relationships with the New Venture Fund and Sixteen Thirty Fund account team and vendors as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Commitment to All* Above All’s mission of abortion justice, where abortion care is affordable, available, and supported for everyone who needs it.
- A minimum of five years combined experience in institutional/foundation fundraising, grant writing, and institutional/foundation fundraising strategy within a justice-related organization. With an eye on future opportunities, the ideal candidate will also have experience managing a team, donor relations, and/or building an individual fundraising program.
- A track record of developing and maintaining meaningful working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly with a fundraising lens to craft meaningful, hopeful messages that inspire donors.
- A well-developed ability to multitask and shift priorities, and an aptitude for working under tight deadlines amidst competing priorities.
- A demonstrated capacity to excel in a responsive and proactive, team-based participatory environment, as well as work autonomously.
- Significant experience as a project manager, with attention to detail.
- A proven ability to analyze complex issues.
- A capacity to lead and guide staff with empathy, positivity, and curiosity.
- A well-developed capacity to manage in all directions and proactively seek out new strategy opportunities.
- An understanding of abortion access as an economic, immigrant, and racial justice issue.
- Experience working on issues impacting Black, Indigenous, and people of color; young people; and/or immigrants; or people struggling financially.
- Views culture shift, organizing, and movement building as key components of issue campaigns.
- Strong commitment to centering people of color and striving to be anti-racist.
- Values a shared, cross-collaborative leadership model.
All* Above All utilizes competencies in evaluating applicants. Leadership is the key competency for this position and sub-competencies for this role include the following:
- Resource Management
- Consensus Building
- Change Management
In addition to the position-specific competencies, All* Above All has seven core competencies in the Competency Model, which apply to every employee at every level and include:
- Mission Awareness – Passion for the mission demonstrated through previous experience, personal connection, or desires for the future inclusive of abortion justice as well as racial, reproductive, economic, and immigrant justice.
- Strategy – Moving from vision to implementation by connecting overall strategy to individual goals and tasks while managing the layers of that strategy.
- Collaboration – Working across internal teams and external partners to accomplish goals by establishing trust and connection with diverse stakeholders.
- Communication – Effectively imparting or exchanging information and conveying feelings and ideas.
- Flexibility – Shifting focus or pivoting as needs change while effectively managing competing priorities and multiple tasks and adapting to changing landscape.
- Self-Direction – Ability to work independently and manage individually-assigned work tasks.
- Personality – Combination of qualities that forms a person’s character.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary for this position is $100K annually. The salary listed is the final offer in consideration of the total compensation package for this position. Additionally, it reflects All*’s compensation philosophy to be equitable in employment offers and aligns with responsibilities at the Director level.
A comprehensive benefits package includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401k contributions , pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off. All* Above All also offers supplemental benefits like a home office equipment bonus, professional development funds, and paid sabbatical leave.
In normal circumstances, this position requires occasional travel (up to 15%) to various states and cities for funder, coalition, campaign, and/or team meetings. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, mission critical travel is currently optional and voluntary.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law in conjunction with All* Above All’s human resources department.
All* Above All is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How To Apply
More information about All* Above All may be found at: allaboveall.org
This search is being led by Cara Pearsall and Stephanie Guidry of NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume and three references via NPAG’s website.
All* Above All is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.