The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private philanthropic foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American cities. With a $4.2 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
This Grants Management Associate role allows for collaboration and partnership across the organization. This role is responsible for reviewing all components of grants and program-related investments in the Foundation’s grants management system.
The Grants Management Associate works externally with applicants and grantees and internally with program, finance, social investments, and legal staff in support of the grant making process. This role ensures compliance and shares data to inform the strategic decision making to support organizational learning.
· Applies an understanding of IRS and foundation-specific regulations, capability to read non-profit organization financial reports, nonprofit law and concepts of program related investments.
· Applies concepts of financing, and familiarity with foundation structure and history.
· Provides systems and process training and operational support to programs as a partner to and member of their program teams. Advises teams on issues of compliance.
· Collects and shares grant and program-related investment data to foster continuous learning and improvement.
· Monitors and ensures that grants and program-related investments move expeditiously through the automated review process in the grants management system, focusing on high-quality, timely and consistent due diligence.
· Supports foundation grantees and investees in the navigation of foundation systems used for application, approval, reporting and the disbursement of funds. Works with organizations to ensure compliance with foundation reporting and other requirements.
· Works with Program and Social Investment staff members to ensure required documentation is in the grants management system and closes out grants and program-related investments.
· Coordinates with Managing Directors and Program Team Assistants to ensure proper communication and correspondence with applicants and grantees/program investees.
· Supports the final production of the grant and program-related investment materials for the monthly grant docket and the quarterly Board book.
· Conducts monthly audits to ensure accurate program coding, budget allocation, payments, reporting requirements, compliance efforts and adherence to policies and requirements.
· The ability to use statistical methods to analyze grant data and generate dashboards and reports using the grants management system and or secondary platforms.
· Builds strong relationships within and across teams.
· Attends appropriate Program and Social Investments meetings and engages with the teams in a collaborative and constructive manner on an ongoing basis.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
· Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of work experience in an office environment, working independently and managing detailed information on specific deadlines.
· Advanced familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
· Experience with a grants management system preferred.
· Proven process management, operation, organization, and time management skills; strict attention to detail.
· Adept at prioritizing and handling multiple complex assignments and setting and meeting competing deadlines with an orientation towards results and resolution.
· Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a matrixed team environment.
· Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity.
· Demonstrated ability to problem solve and suggest new processes to improve internal and external customer responsiveness.
· Excellent customer service skills required.
How To Apply
The application deadline for this position is Midnight EST on January 8, 2023
This position has a hybrid schedule with remote work from home up to 3 days per week.
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.