People For the American Way is a national advocacy organization dedicated to making the promise of America real for every American: Equality. Freedom of speech. Freedom of religion. The right to seek justice in a court of law. The right to cast a vote that counts. The American Way. The Deputy Director of Digital Fundraising and Engagement is an integral part of a dynamic online program including the organization’s various web properties, social media channels, and hundreds of thousands of activists nationwide.
The Deputy Director of Digital Fundraising and Engagement works to engage and mobilize progressive activists in support of our advocacy campaigns. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and a strategic thinker who can work collaboratively with other staff to develop and test strategies for effective fundraising and advocacy campaigns. This position reports to the Senior Director of Digital and Organizing and works with the Digital Strategy team and staff across multiple departments and programs. This position is traditionally located in Washington, D.C. but can also be remote (with the ability to travel to D.C. occasionally post-pandemic).
- Responsible for email and web-based fundraising, including testing, onboarding, cultivation, and upgrade strategies with a strong focus on setting and achieving goals.
- Lead strategy and execution for achieving donor and prospect list goals, including list hygiene, deliverability, retention, and paid and unpaid lead generation and donor acquisition.
- Create and run, or work with vendors to execute, digital ads (Facebook, display, etc.)
- Strategic use of various digital and direct response channels, including email, social media, websites, SMS and multimedia (video) products to support both fundraising and brand marketing.
- Engage members and activists for advocacy and organizing (distributed events, volunteer recruitment, online actions, event turnout, etc.).
- 8+ years’ experience in online fundraising for nonprofits, political organizations, or campaigns (experience working for or with membership organizations preferred but not necessary)
- Extremely strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong experience with email fundraising, as well as some experience fundraising on other digital channels (social media, ads, etc.)
- Strong eye for design and at least basic graphic design skills (Adobe software experience a plus)
- HTML a must (other coding applicable to email and landing pages a plus)
- Experience with A/B testing and optimization strategies and execution
- Experience with data and analytics, assessing KPIs, making data-informed decisions re: content, targeting, prioritization, etc.
- Experience managing email lists, including knowledge of list hygiene and acquisition best practices
- Experience with eCRM database and blast email solutions (ActionKit experience a plus)
- Experience working with and querying/reporting on data sets (ability to work directly in SQL a plus but not required)
- Some experience with/working knowledge of strategic use of websites for fundraising (including conversion optimization)
- Knowledge of the space and general enthusiasm for and awareness of (ability to write about) People For’s issues – democracy issues like voting rights and money in politics, fighting far-right extremism and bigotry, the courts, racial equity and justice, gender equity and justice, etc.
- Video editing/production skills not required but a plus
How To Apply: email@example.com