African Communities Together (ACT) is an organization of African immigrants fighting for civil rights, opportunity, and a better life for our families here in the U.S. and worldwide. ACT works to support and empower African immigrants to integrate socially, advance economically, and engage civically. ACT connects African immigrants to services, empowers our members to develop as grassroot leaders, and leads campaigns for social change. ACT’s African immigrant membership comes from a diverse range of nationalities, cultures, and languages, and is religiously diverse, majority women, and predominantly working-class and low income.
Title: Federal Policy Manager
Position Location: This position will be based in ACT’s DC/MD/VA offices.
Reports to: National Policy Director
FLSA Status: Salaried-Exempt
Employment Type: Full-time
Hours: Monday-Friday, Hybrid position, requires a mix of remote work, work from office, and in-person meetings.
ACT is hiring a Federal Policy Manager to support the National Policy Director in advancing the organization’s efforts to shape and influence federal immigration policies that affect African immigrant communities. This position is responsible for advancing ACT’s immigration policy agenda, executing advocacy strategies, and collaborating with stakeholders. This position will report to the National Policy Director and work closely with the Lead Immigration Organizer and Chapter staff.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the National Policy Director in developing ACT’s federal policy priorities, strategy, and campaigns.
- Work with ACT leadership, staff, members, coalition partners, and legislative consultants to advance ACT’s immigration policy priorities.
- Track, monitor, and analyze federal immigration policies, legislation, and regulations that impact the African immigrant community.
- Build and maintain relationships with key legislators, congressional staff, federal agencies, and partner organizations.
- In partnership with the National Policy Director, represent ACT in policy roundtables, briefings, coalition meetings, and community events.
- Prepare policy briefs, advocacy letters, one-pagers, factsheets, and other documents.
- Work closely with the Lead Immigration Organizer to mobilize support from African immigrant communities, advocates, and ACT members.
- Assist the National Policy Director in developing and organizing immigration policy training, lobbying visits, and technical assistance on immigration policy for ACT members and partners.
- Support the National Policy Director in tracking and reporting grant deliverables.
- Work with the Lead Immigration Organizer and Communications Manager to train and prepare ACT members and leaders to serve as legislative advocates and spokespeople.
- Work closely with communication staff to plan media activities, oversee digital content, draft press releases and messaging to raise awareness of our federal immigration campaigns.
- Support and carry out, as appropriate, lobbying efforts at the federal level.
- A passion for ACT’s mission and demonstrated commitment to community-centered immigrant justice.
- At least 3 years of substantive experience in policy analysis or advocacy and an understanding of the federal legislative process.
- Experience with immigration law or policy is desired.
- Professional degree relevant to policy analysis, such as JD, MPP, or MPA, are strongly preferred.
- Experience and cultural competence with African immigrant communities.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to succeed in a “startup” environment, including accountability to goals, ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and irregular hours, as needed.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill desired.
- Fluency in either French or a widely spoken African language is desired.
We offer a full comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a Simplified Employee Pension Plan (SEP-IRA). Additional benefits include professional development and a sabbatical/longevity bonus.
Paid Time and Holidays Off
African Communities Together (ACT) offers a generous benefits package to full-time employees. Benefits include paid vacation and medical leave, a personal day for every two months worked, paid holidays throughout the calendar year (including federal holidays), and a year-end winter break from December 24th to January 1st.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter describing your interest in the position. Here: Federal Policy Manager – African Communities Together – Career Page (applytojob.com). Applications without a cover page will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications by September 16th, 2023; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone meets 100% of the qualifications for a role Studies have shown people of the global majority and female-identifying candidates in particular are likely to “count themselves out” of otherwise well-matched opportunities due to this fact. If much of this job description describes you, please apply for this role.