Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey (KCFAA) was founded in 1984 as an official second home to the world-class contemporary dance company, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. Since that time the organization has presented either Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater or the smaller Ailey II company annually for Kansas City audiences.
In 1989, KCFAA created the very first AileyCamp, a 6-week dance program for young people ages 11-14. The program offers dance training in popular styles like West African, jazz, ballet, and the Lester Horton technique.
Students also experience workshops focused on building self-confidence and leadership/ communication skills. This acclaimed program continues to this day in both Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS and now is also presented annually in eight other cities across the United States under the auspices of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in New York.
All told, Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey has reached 1.4 million students, community members, and audience members since its founding. KCFAA awards and honors include the Coming Up Taller Award from the Presidents Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, presented by First Lady Laura Bush, the Governor’s Arts Award presented by the Kansas Arts Commission, and the Missouri Arts Award. http://kcfaa.org/
Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey (KCFAA) invites applications from strong leaders to serve as their next Chief Executive Officer. The CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors through the Chair. The key elements of responsibilities include the following:
- Fully embrace KCFAA’s three-part mission as a presenter, educator, and unifier.
- Develop and maintain a strong collaborative relationship with the Chief Artistic Officer – working with them to develop a broad programmatic presence across the community.
- Lead the process of development and drive implementation of KCFAA’s strategic plan, identifying opportunities for innovation and improving the long-term financial sustainability of KCFAA through stewardship of organizational resources.
- Effectively forge important relationships externally, including funders and current/potential arts partners, as well as with the leadership and staff of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre in New York.
- Oversee and expand income streams, including both earned and contributed revenue.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, develop and lead KCFAA’s fund-raising efforts.
- Develop and maintain a positive and productive working culture that will enhance the staff’s ability to do their best work.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and Advisory Board to engage their skills and commitments to governance and advocacy.
- Maintain effective relationships with venue partners, local school districts, and the City, which owns the organization’s studio/office space.
- Oversee all organizational, financial, and business affairs.
Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey has engaged Management Consultants for the Arts to lead the search, and interested candidates may apply for this position by visiting this link: https://mcaonline.com/searches/ceo-friends-ailey-kansas
How To Apply
Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey has engaged Management Consultants for the Arts to facilitate this search, with the project led by Jason Palmquist and Emily Knapp. The Company hopes to make its decision by late 2023, with the new CEO onsite by as soon as possible thereafter. Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply in complete confidence by providing the materials requested below with these guidelines:
- A cover letter of no more than 1.5 pages describing why this post is attractive to the applicant and what will make them a potentially strong leader for KCFAA.
- Resumé or CV.
- Names of four professional references, including email and phone contact information (recommendation letters are not required).
- Each file should have the applicant’s name included as part of the file name and submitted as separate .pdf documents.
Once all materials have been submitted online, through the application portal-https://mcaonline.com/searches/ceo-friends-ailey-kansas – the applicant will receive a confirmation of their submission via the email address provided in the application.