The American Theatre Wing is a not-for-profit organization, founded on the eve of America’s entry into WWI by 7 suffragists and theatre makers who came together to support the nation by harnessing the power of theatre. More than a century later, ATW’s vital work continues to be driven by the fundamental belief that theatre is essential to our economic, educational, and social and emotional well-being as a society.
Through a powerful suite of programs that address all aspects of the national theatre ecology, ATW encourages the discovery of theatre by people of all ages, nurtures talent on stage and off, creates pathways for success for students and young professionals, and encourages the development of the art form itself by recognizing and supporting innovative and excellent work with awards and grants. Building a just, equitable and inclusive American theatre is a guiding principle of all of ATW’s work and programs.
The American Theatre Wing, founder of the Tony Awards, home of the OBIE Awards, and one of the nation’s premiere non-profit arts organizations, is seeking a motivated emerging professional to support the Wing’s individual, foundation, corporate, and government fundraising program, and provide administrative support to the Development Department. The Assistant should should demonstrate excellent communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, enthusiasm for learning, and willingness to take on large and small tasks. The American Theatre Wing offers competitive salaries and benefits and a collegial working environment.
Donor Research and Stewardship
- Research and identify new grant/sponsorship prospects and individual funding opportunities, taking into consideration strategic planning and funding alignment.
- Assist in development of engagement strategies and outreach to funders and prospects, as well as benefit fulfillment for major donors.
- Ensure that funders are credited appropriately online and in print.
- Write first drafts of grant proposals and reports as assigned and compile required supplemental materials.
- Communicate across departments to compile updated program statistics and any necessary information for proposals.
- Update the grant calendar as needed.
- Assist in the creation and fulfillment of charity auctions.
- Create or coordinate event collateral and materials.
- Communicate with attendees about event details and benefit fulfillment as required.
- Work with departmental volunteers on key tasks leading up to events and on day-of.
- Track financial data using the appropriate metrics for each event.
- Regularly and accurately record funder data, income, and communications.
- Pull lists/reports in Salesforce and manually adjust data formatting as needed.
- Work with Programs team to maintain cumulative stats spreadsheet.
General Administrative Support
- Process donations/registrations/etc. as they are received and create acknowledgement letters weekly.
- Provide support for departmental mailings (both physical and digital).
- Compile monthly departmental credit card receipts.
- Report on daily income and communicate with Finance team regarding monthly income reconciliation.
- Maintain qualifications within government portal accounts (password updates, e-payments, pre-qualification statuses)
- Coordinate internal meetings and take minutes.
- Place departmental supply orders.
- Other administrative tasks as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications & Requirements
- 1-3 years of development or related experience.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills to cultivate relationships with donors;
- Outstanding organizational skills including impeccable attention to detail, time management, and a strong sense of personal accountability;
- Proactive approach to problem-solving and strong common sense-based decision making skills. Able to work independently, using good judgement, resourcefulness and the ability to sustain productivity under pressure;
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information;
- High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) as well as Adobe and Outlook. Working knowledge of Salesforce or other database a plus.
- Knowledge of and passion for theatre or the arts preferred.
How To Apply
To apply please send cover letter and resume to Laura@americantheatrewing.org. No phone calls or agencies please.