Founded in December 2019, Open Horizon is a small family foundation based in the Greater Washington DC area. Open Horizon is committed to improving communities and individual lives through funding experiential learning, capacity building, policy change, and investing in positive systems that expand opportunity and increase equity.
The Open Horizon founders are both influenced by their European Jewish heritage. Their forebears immigrated to the United States to escape the horrors of persecution and war. This has influenced their commitment to support education, to create a stronger civil society, and to promote economic equity. Current foundation priorities include projects in the DMV (DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia region), the US South, and beyond, with a special focus on education, experiential learning, and leadership development.
The foundation is at an inflection point, not only as Open Horizon matures in its fourth year of operation, but also in the context of a society that is fighting to define democracy while many try to defend the dignity and worth of targeted individuals. The foundation recognizes histories of intentional harm against Black and brown communities, LGBTQI+ identities and individuals, and the ways that legacies of brutality and separation cause continued systemic inequities. The Manager of Program Operations and Innovations is joining our team at a pivotal time.
The Manager of Operations and Program Innovation will play a critical role in building and formalizing structure this next chapter in the life of the Foundation, including: creatively supporting evolving programs and logistics; participating in the strategic planning process; supporting granting and programming; and participating (as directed by Executive Director) in research aligned with emerging shifts in strategy.
Initially Open Horizon was focused solely on granting to aligned nonprofit partners. In 2022, the foundation began designing its own signature programs, including Ignite the South (facilitated by implementing partners), the Leaders Retreat, and Conversations about Race & Belonging parents’ program. These signature programs continue to evolve and this role will support the growth of each of them in strategic ways that complement each program’s emerging needs. Moving forward, Open Horizon seeks to continue to work with nonprofit partners to fund their valuable work, while also continuing to enhance and create unique programs that serve to expand opportunity and increase equity for individuals and communities at the sharpest intersections of underrepresentation and marginalization.
Vision Alignment and Motivation
The Manager of Operations and Program Innovation role is ideal for a mission-driven, equity-focused team player who is interested in joining a growing organization. Our ideal candidate is an effective change agent who is a skilled connector and proactive planner able to develop solutions to organizational challenges, and motivated to build out systems and relationships.
Areas of Leadership & Impact
What you’ll be doing:
- Organizing and Planning
- Public Engagement
- Grant Recipient Evaluation
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Financial Management
What you will bring:
- Alignment to mission and organizational values
- Higher education degree in aligned subject area; Master’s degree preferred and/or experience (2+ years) is considerable
- Experience in philanthropy in DMV, preferred but not required
- Commitment to life-long learning
- Organizational Skills
- Communication Skills
- Event Planning and management
- Partnership development and maintenance (Relationship building)
- Program management throughout the entire program life cycle
- Nonprofit board and/or service volunteering experience
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage
- Monthly wellness benefit allowance
- Flexible spending account
- Employer contribution matching for retirement plan
- Flexible leave, religious accommodation, and vacation policies
- Annual professional development investment to develop your skills
- Opportunity to participate in an employee granting program