Based in downtown San Francisco, Tempest Advisors provides professional philanthropic consulting services to Sea Change Foundation and Sea Change Foundation International – the climate-focused philanthropies of Nat Simons and Laura Baxter Simons. Consulting support is focused on the serious threat posed by climate change and the role of philanthropy in climate change mitigation. The Tempest team is high performing, collaborative, and mission driven. We foster a pragmatic, solution-oriented culture and a willingness to develop creative approaches to addressing climate change.
As a Program Strategist at Tempest Advisors, you will work with a small team helping to advise our clients to develop and assess grants focused at the forefront of mitigating climate change. Although this Program Strategist position will be a generalist with respect to our climate mitigation strategies, this position will likely focus more heavily on clean transportation and reducing fossil fuel dependence domestically and internationally. Program Strategists report to the Executive Director and must be able to work effectively with colleagues across multiple disciplines (both internally and throughout the philanthropic community), balancing the need for immediate action with our clients’ desire to maximize impact through philanthropic investments.
· Proactively cultivate, review, and assess climate grantmaking opportunities; conduct rigorous due diligence, including site visits to meet with current and potential grant recipients, and view active and pending projects across an array of climate and clean energy philanthropic strategies.
· Lead development and assessment of grantmaking strategies by identifying promising grant concepts, providing critical analysis of project strengths, weaknesses, and risks, presenting grant ideas for review by Tempest Advisors’ staff members, partners, and clients (including principals), and working with potential grant recipients to improve the clarity and quality of their grant proposals and documentation.
· In addition to other strategy areas to be assigned, lead development and assessment of strategies on clean transportation and reducing fossil fuel dependence.
· Attend and present at certain client grant decision-making meetings.
· Stay current on emerging issues, trends, interventions, and innovations related to climate change and clean energy in order to advise Tempest Advisors’ clients on effective strategies to advance climate mitigation.
· Provide peer feedback to other Program Strategists and other funders on projects and grant proposals and solicit peer reviews of your work from others.
· Help to plan and implement learning opportunities for grant recipients, Tempest Advisors’ employees and clients, and other partner organizations.
· Work with and manage external consultants.
· Develop progress indicators with grant recipients; monitor ongoing grants and initiatives; evaluate progress and report to Tempest Advisors’ employees and clients.
· Collaborate with other funders, advisors, and grant recipients to facilitate the exchange of information and maximize lessons learned.
· Convene meetings of stakeholders, including grant recipients, subject matter experts, community representatives, governmental representatives, funders, and others, to learn from each other, and compare and coordinate strategies where appropriate.
· Ensure compliance with IRS regulations and any other legal requirements, as well as client reporting requirements for all grants.
· Respond to additional client requests as needed, including research requests.
· Complete other projects as assigned, including some related to Tempest Advisors’ internal operations and planning.
Compensation, Benefits & Work Requirements
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with expertise and previous experience within the range of $200,000 to $240,000 annually. Excellent employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental and vision and a 2:1 matching retirement plan. This is an exempt position and requires presence in the San Francisco office on a full-time basis. Additionally, domestic and international travel a few times per year is likely. A background check, full COVID-19 vaccination, and acceptance of a non-disclosure agreement will be required.
How To Apply
Tempest Advisors is partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting – a Bay Area-based Black- and woman-owned strategic management consulting and search firm – to facilitate this search. To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (references will not be contacted without your advanced notice) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line: Program Strategist. Please submit PDF or Microsoft Word files only, preferably with all materials in one combined file. Resume review begins immediately. Questions or Nominations? Contact Jeannine N. Walker at email@example.com.